I may ruffle a few feathers with this video — but I’ve been wanting to talk about self-improvement for a long time. Self-improvement can become counter-productive in the pursuit of personal perfection. The following pursuits can be detrimental, damaging, and a wasted effort.
If you’re constantly immersed in seeking to do better, you lose sight of being awesome. Constant self improvement teaches us not to be happy with who we are. Yes, we do need to improve and strive to be better in areas of our lives. But if you think you’re not good enough and you’re constantly seeking to change, you are wasting time trying to be something you’re not.
Counter-productive personal development
- The learning culture — if reading and learning are inspirational, this is wonderful. But the learning culture can be wasteful if fear gets in the way of applying what was learned. More action is needed with less learning in this case.
- No fap — it’s all about not touching it. But my question to you is ‘why’? I’ve heard all the answers, but is this really why you’re not doing it? I feel as if two things get meshed together: porn (I understand get that under control, and I am with you) and no fap. BUT don’t deprive yourself of healthy actions whether solo or with someone else.
- Focusing on what your body looks like in the mirror — how your body looks on the outside doesn’t mean it’s healthy on the inside. How is your heart? Your flexibility? How is your cholesterol? Your triglycerides? Your micro-nutrient intake? Most men are sorely lacking in vital vitamins Vitamin D and E; make sure to take a quality multi-vitamin.
- Following your passion — ‘finding your passion’ and doing it for the rest of your life is a huge waste of time. Same with ‘finding something you love so you’ll never work a day in your life’ — it’s also not true. If you are going to be successful, a lot of hard work is necessary. But if you enjoy doing something AND you can make money at it, that’s the perfect storm of success. Keep in mind, the majority of people ‘following their passion’ go broke and homeless.
- Buying into hustle culture — never giving up is a bad thing to do. You don’t have to constantly grind and keep working — if it ain’t working after three years, it ain’t working. Shoot the dog because he’s bleeding and dying. If you buy into the hustle culture, it’s wrong. Be smart enough to know when to quit so you can find an opportunity that will eventually lead to success.
- Engaging in visualization without action — sure, visualize to think through things. But if you simply visualize without following through, you’re wasting time. You have to be willing to get out there and do it.
RITUAL | Essential for Men Multivitamins
Head to https://ritual.com/10alpham to get Ritual’s Essential for Men multivitamins 18+ and 50+. Use code 10ALPHAM and get 10% off your first 3-months.