Do you ever feel like your life is just boring? You’re not really inspired, and you’re not passionate about things. Your life is not where you want it to be, but some of you are probably like me and unsure of where you want to go. About 6 months ago, I was in a severe funk. I was in a rut and bored with what I was doing in my life. I contemplated what I needed to do to get motivated and inspired. I took some actionable steps I want to share with you today because I know I’m not alone.
Get yourself out of your own way and start living a more exciting life
Getting out of a rut starts by identifying why you’re in the situation and then going after actual steps to seek improvement. Figure out why your current life is boring. Is it the job that you’re in? If you’re not challenged, you could get bored. Are you lonely or in a monotonous relationship? This can happen. Are you bored because you don’t have any hobbies? Do you not have any money to do the things that would be more fun and exciting? Are you living an inauthentic life?
It’s frustrating doing the same thing day in and out, and if you can figure out why you’re feeling that way, you can be more targeted, get yourself out of the rut, and be more inspired. I realized I was doing the same thing every day, didn’t have something to look forward to, and wasn’t challenging myself. I needed to do more fun things. Here’s what I did.
How to get inspired and out of a rut
- Say ‘yes’ instead of saying ‘no.’ My usual response is ‘no’ when anybody wants to do something.
- Travel. Get yourself out of the house and out of town. Explore. This doesn’t mean you have to spend a lot of cash or go on a week-long trip to Tahiti. You can figure out different ways to get out of your house to travel a little bit.
- Find cool people. I struggle with this because I’m an introvert, but I realize I need to push myself out of my box to be around different people. Make new friends by going to networking events or do something cool on weekends like a club, sports league, frisbee, or bowling. Get around new people and connect with others. The more interesting people you have in your life, the richer your life will become. You can connect with people that have similar interests. If you’re into sports, check out DraftKings. New DraftKings customers use promo code ALPHAM to get special offers across DraftKings. Head to the app now to check out all of the great NFTs on DK Marketplace!
- Learn more stuff. Cryptocurrency and NFTs are a vast open space. The market is tanking, and now is the time to start learning.
- Exercise. Start exercising if you are not already, or change gyms if you’re already exercising. When I’m in a rut with my physical fitness or lifting, I know it’s time to change environments. Going to the same gym, seeing the same people, and doing the same workouts and exercises can get boring. Different gym and different equipment are motivating. You could also take up something they like yoga, spin, or CrossFit. It may suck to start, but it gets better, and you’ll have fun breaking the monotony of life.
- Change jobs. Breaking the monotony of life may entail getting a new job. I don’t say this lightly as going into your boss and quitting tomorrow is not something I advise. But if you’re not feeling inspired, the time may be now to update your resume and start putting feelers out there. There’s never been a better time to pursue a new career or job. It’s also a perfect time to start a side hustle.
- Consume information. Documentaries are one of my favorite things to watch. They can be very inspiring and allow me to think outside my sphere of understanding and knowledge. Reading books or listening to audiobooks while jogging or chilling is a great way to expand your knowledge and learn from others. You can take this knowledge and set off in a new direction and goal.