Some people know a lot more than I do about diet, nutrition, and related studies. Also, just because someone has a nice physique doesn’t mean that they understand diet, nutrition, and what may work for you. I also want to mention something that is very important to me: you can develop an amazing body without performance enhancing drugs, TRT, or steroids. And just because others take them doesn’t mean you should. That being said, I am going over the worst mistakes for losing weight and putting on muscle.
Common diet mistakes
- Dirty bulking (aka getting ‘sloppy fat’) — to burn body fat, you need to be in a caloric deficit. On the flip side, you need to consume more calories than you’re burning to gain weight. With dirty bulking, you’re just getting fat. Keep a low body fat percentage with proper nutrition and working out.
- Thinking if you don’t have a perfect diet that your muscles will disappear like a fart in the wind — instead, when it comes to a diet, find one that fits your lifestyle. Intermittent fasting works for me (16:8 method) where I have 3 meals and snacks in that eating window.
- Extreme diets — extreme diets can be sustained for a limited time. Once off of the diet, people tend to lose their minds and stuff their faces with all the food they were depriving themselves of. Find a diet that works for you long-term, like my Alpha M. Diet Plan below.
- Relying too much on supplements — your diet is the most important thing. What you consume makes the biggest difference in your body. Supplements can HELP, but it’s hard to prove HOW MUCH they help.
- Protein consumption — you need the protein when you are losing body fat and building muscle, but people think they need more protein than they do. Your body can only assimilate a certain amount per meal: 1 gram per 1 pound of lean muscle.
- Being too strict on a diet and maintaining too low of a body percentage too long — it’s not healthy for hormone levels and feeling good. Being shredded can only be maintained for a short period of time.
- Not being consistent — you need to stay consistent with diet, workouts, and cardio. How you look naked is directly tied to how consistent you do the things you need to do to have a good body. Consistency is the hardest part of the equation, and people have the toughest time with it. I have been consistent since the age of 12 years old, and I never go a long time without paying attention.
This plan has worked for me for years. It’s a straight-forward formula for how to eat at each meal, but you still need to plan and prep. I prep on Sundays (meat, carbs, veggies), and then my wife and I also eat Hello Fresh 3xs per week to break the monotony. Get 14 free Hello Fresh meals with code ALPHAM14.