If you’re 6′ 2″, 180 pounds, and built like a fitness model, this video isn’t for you. If you’re sticking around, I assume you’re not built like a Greek god. The good news is that if you understand your body and clothing, you can LOOK like an Adonis! I’m going over seven body types, which are the most challenging to dress.
Look like a Greek god even if you aren’t one
- Athletic build — a lot of times you need to size up to compensate for bigger muscles, but the downside is that the clothing will fit in certain areas but will be too big in others. Look for clothing that is an athletic cut; jeans with higher stretch; button-ups that fit in the neck that then can be tailored.
- Under 5′ 8″ in height — make sure your pants are proper length. Look for a slim fit pant that creates an illusion of length. Shirts should fit properly and aren’t too long. Dress in monochromatic tones such as blacks, grays, dark browns, and greens. Buy suit pants with side adjusting tabs as opposed to wearing a belt that breaks the body up (making you look shorter).
- Very tall — opt for longer inseams, contrast colors between top and lower body, wear v-necks/Henleys/polo shirts to make your shoulders appear broad & not lengthen the body, shirt hems should be straight or split.
- Super skinny — avoid dark colors which make you look slimmer and smaller. Wear bright colors like light blue. When wearing sweatshirts, make sure they’re not big & baggy, which will make you look smaller.
- Heavyset— don’t wear clothing that is too big. Instead, opt for tailored or fitted clothing to eliminate excess fabric around your midsection. Don’t wear dress shirts that are longer in nature when untucked. Choose shirts that are a bit shorter and designed to be worn untucked. Slim fit pants are the best option as they’ll fit in the waist and have less fabric in the leg and crotch area. Don’t wear bright colors and large patterns, like larger horizontal stripes.
- Small top with larger bottom — you need balance. Horizontal stripes up top with dark down below balance your body. It’s all about color illusion. Add a jacket or light sweater.
- Larger upper body with skinny legs — flip what #6 wears with dark on the upper body and light on the lower body.